3Dio Support Forum

Welcome to our new forum! If you have a question, we've got an answer.
Login to post a new question or topic.

Will the FS Binaural Microphone work with a Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Card?

• I have a Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Card, that has a built in Sabre32 DAC. If I plug this mic into the mic in/line in input, will the mic work with this or do I need an external preamp?

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

Hi Fathom,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card does not contain a stereo microphone input, nor does it contain the proper preamp and A/D converter needed to connect a 3Dio (and most other condenser-type microphones) directly to the sound card.

What we recommend is an external audio interface (preamp & A/D converter in one), such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. The Scarlett 2i2 will boost the mic level signal from the 3Dio to a line level. It will also convert the analog signal from the 3Dio into a digital signal that your computer will understand.

To connect an FS model microphone to the Scarlett 2i2, we recommend using a 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4" stereo splitter cable.

To connect an FS XLR or FS Pro II model microphone to the Scarlett 2i2, then we recommend using two (2) XLR cables.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

~Brian