3Dio Support Forum

Welcome to our new forum! If you have a question, we've got an answer.
Login to post a new question or topic.

one ear(capsule?) not working

• has anyone encountered this odd behavior. switched out the 9v battery and still no joy.

mind you, i received the fs xlr directly from 3dio this weekend.

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

Hi @artulus 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear you're only getting a signal from one ear. I'm happy to help you troubleshoot this issue.

First, can you please describe your audio setup? What device(s) are you plugging the 3Dio into? What cables are you using? Do the XLR outputs function as expected? Feel free to upload a video, pictures, links, etc. to your response. Any information you can provide would be helpful.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
    ~Brian

• @3dio

Thank you for the quick response Brian!

Here is a quick sketch -3dio setup

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

Hi @artulus ,

Thank you for the signal flow diagram. Much appreciated and very helpful! If you don't mind, I have a few more questions for you. 😊

Can you please confirm which side is not producing any sound? Left or right? What happens when you swap the two 1/4" TS connectors plugged into the iRig? Does the sound switch sides? Is the MacOS/iOS displaying a signal from both channels or only the one you're hearing? Do you have any headphone adapters in use?

Also, do you have any XLR cables you can try plugging into the iRig? You'll need to turn on the phantom power on the iRig for this setup.

Finally, I encourage you to check out this video tutorial for this setup. The microphone in the video is our FS model, but the setup is the same for the XLR and Pro II 3.5mm output as well:

Best regards,
    ~Brian

• @3Dio 

here's how the week of troubleshooting the fs xlr has been.

• exchanged the irig pro duo for new. same behavior using trs/ts cable.
    • purchased xlr cables which worked well. trs/ts cable still had the same behavior with only one side capturing sound.
    • purchased trs/ts cable from 3dio. now microphone is functioning as expected.

boiled it down to the defective trs/ts cable i was using initially. excited to record binaural audio with this neat microphone.

the tutorial video was very helpful -- thanks brian for passing it along and the tech support.

RESOLVED

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

@artulus Great! Glad to hear you got everything working.

One more thing I want to mention is that when using the XLR cables, you'll be supplying power from the iRig Pro Duo to power the microphone capsules of the 3Dio. Because this voltage is 48V, you may find it drains the iRig Pro Duo batteries rather quickly if it is not plugged into a wall receptacle. This is why we recommend using the 9V battery of the 3Dio and use the 3.5mm output instead of the XLR outputs.

Happy recording!

Best,
    ~Brian