3Dio Support Forum

Welcome to our new forum! If you have a question, we've got an answer.
Login to post a new question or topic.

sound and video - need software to merge the 2 together

• hi i dont know what to do i have a separate camera and i need to merge the video with the sound. what product should i use to do this? also, is there an easier way is it possible to record the 3dio sound and video TOGETHER? thank you!!

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

@risa charmaine,

Thank you for the question.

There are 2 ways to approach this scenario, depending on the capabilities of your camera.

1) Record Audio & Video Together

In order to record the audio & video together, the video camera must have a stereo external microphone input. Many DSLR cameras have these capabilities, but not all. Check the audio input specifications within the user manual of the camera. If the camera accepts a 3.5mm stereo input, then it is compatible with a 3Dio. Simply connect the 3Dio to the camera using a 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm M2M TRS cable. You may need to update the camera audio settings to ensure the external microphone is being used to capture the audio rather than the camera's built-in microphone.

With the 3Dio power switch in the ON position, you should now be capturing binaural audio along with your video. When you export the video files into your computer, the audio and video should be fully synced.

2) Record Audio & Video Separately

If you are recording audio & video separately, you'll need a device to record the audio. This can be done in multiple ways, using a small digital recorder, recording into your computer using an audio interface, or recording into a smartphone using a special audio interface, such as the IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo.

When filming and recording audio, the camera will automatically capture the audio along with the video, using the camera's built-in microphone. Because the timing of when the record buttons are pressed on both the camera and the audio recording device will not be in sync, the audio and video will most likely not be in sync. When using this setup, we recommend making a few loud clicks or clapping your hands a few times to create audio spikes. These spikes will be used in post production to sync the audio.

After filming is complete, transfer the video and audio files into your computer and then into your video editing software project. Once all the files are in your project, you should have a video file, the audio file from the camera's built in microphone (these are often imported together as a single mp4 or mov file), and the audio file(s) from the 3Dio recording.

The audio spikes will look something like this:

Out of Sync Audio

As you can see, the 4 audio peaks are not aligned.

Once the files are in your project, disable any 'snap' feature/functionality. If your video editing software allows for granular editing of the audio (as opposed to the video), then enable that feature.

(For example, Adobe Premiere allows you to click and drag audio files based on the # of frames per second (fps) to ensure that the audio files only move in line with the video frames. Adobe Premiere also allows you to click and drag the audio files based on the audio bit rate, which provides very tiny changes to the placement of the audio file, thus allowing for perfect syncing between multiple audio files, regardless of the video frames.)

Click and drag the 3Dio audio files left or right to align the clicks/claps from the recording. Align the 3Dio audio with the camera audio. Once aligned, simply mute the camera audio track.

Once aligned, the audio peaks should be aligned and appear like this:

In Sync Audio

To ensure that the audio is perfectly synced, you may need to zoom in on a single peak to better align the audio files:

In Sync Audio Zoomed

3) Video Editing Software

There are a lot of video editing software options available. Here are a few:

1. Adobe Premiere Pro
    2. iMovie
    3. Shotcut
    4. Lightworks
    5. Final Cut
    6. Hitfilm
    7. Filmora

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    ~Brian
    3Dio Customer Care