3Dio Support Forum

Welcome to our new forum! If you have a question, we've got an answer.
Login to post a new question or topic.

3dio fs USB mic + Scarlett 2i2 + Canon eos m50 mark ii

• Hey

As you can see in the topic I'm trying to connect those 3 things. But my problem is that I don't know how to connect all those so that I can monitor the sound at the same time during recording with my earphones? I have an 6.35 mm adapter fir the earphones 🎧 for the Scarlett but the microphone still doesn't pick up any sound. I connected i via dual 1/4 trs to the Scarlett. But how to connect the Scarlett to the camera ? That's a biggest question. Scarlett has an usb c output. Can I connect it via usb c to 3.5 mm adapter and to the camera? I did. But it doesn't pick up any sound from the microphone. Or is it so that camera needs to be connected to the PC during recording? Not live streaming. Please help me with that. I really don't know what to do...

Thank you 

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

Hi Oxana,

Thank you for posting your questions. I'm happy to help troubleshoot.

First, the Scarlett 2i2 receives it's power via the USB-C cable. Therefore, the USB-C cable must be plugged into a device that is designed to provide power. Unfortunately, most DSLR cameras do not have this feature like computers do. The Scarlett 2i2 is designed to be connected to a desktop or laptop computer, not a camera. This is why you're not getting any signal from the Scarlett. It simply isn't getting power.

You can connect the 3Dio directly to the camera's built-in stereo mic input. This will allow you to capture 3Dio binaural audio + video simultaneously. (audio input configurations may need to be adjusted. Check the camera's product manual for details.)

However, it does not appear that the camera has a headphone output option for direct monitoring during your stream.

If you're not live streaming, we recommend using the 3Dio and the Scarlett 2i2 to capture the audio into your computer. Then capture the video (+ the Camera's audio) using the Canon. In post production, sync the audio from the Scarlett with the audio from the camera so 3Dio audio matches the camera audio.

I wrote a post on how to sync the video and audio from two sources here:
    https://3diosound.com/community/forum/topic/37178/sound-and-video-need-software-to-merge-the-2-together

I hope this info helps.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    ~Brian
    3Dio Customer Care

• @3Dio 

Thank you for your help.

What if I connect 3dio fs as XLR via camera audio interface like Saramonic SR-PAX 1?

3.5mm to 3.5 from Saramonic to Canon. Then balanced 1/4 trs to xlr in line outputs on Scarlett 2i2 and another end of the cable as XLR into Saramonic. Which means I'll need 2 x 1/4 trs to XLR cable. And then monitor on Scarlett about 30-40%.

I think it should work. Correct?

Thank you

Oxana