3Dio Support Forum

Welcome to our new forum! If you have a question, we've got an answer.
Login to post a new question or topic.

How do the ears alter the frequency response of the microphones?

• Hello,

I am curious to know how the ears alter the frequency response of the microphone elements that are positioned within the Freespace microphones. My question relates specifically to the FS Pro II. Since I am unable to use graphic equalization methods as suggested elsewhere to achieve a more flat frequency response, I'd be interested in knowing how the frequency curve of the binaural microphone differs from that of the microphone elements without the ears. I know the mid range frequencies are more focused entering the binaural microphone based on how it sounds compared to the elements themselves without the ears, but where is this peak specifically? Around 6K, 8K?

Thanks.

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

Hi @Blake Galbraith,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Great question!

The general peak area range is quite large and is between 6-12kHz, but typically hovers around 8-10kHz. However, it depends on the location of the sound source relative to where the microphone is facing as well as the frequency range of the sound source itself. The peak is not very strong, more of a small boost bell curve of several dB within that range. The introduction of the ear pinna provides directionality to the capsule and therefore the placement and direction of the microphone will determine the unique alterations to the frequency response.

This phenomenon applies to all of our microphones and not just the FS Pro II.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    ~Brian
    3Dio Customer Care

• Hello,

This helps a great deal, thank you for the information!

In the future, it would be great to have an option to equalize the audio of these microphones before it reaches the recorder, I wouldn't mind an externally connected device for this that could use some of the phantom power of a mixer, perhaps. This could be especially helpful for live audio streams that might otherwise have a less than flat frequency response, or have otherwise colored audio because of the use of digital equalization methods.