3Dio Support Forum

Welcome to our new forum! If you have a question, we've got an answer.
Login to post a new question or topic.

Which Microphone Would Be Best for Starting Out?

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

The best starter mic would be our FS model: https://3diosound.com/products/free-space-binaural-microphone

This model of microphone can be connected to a variety of different devices:

- Most DSLR Cameras using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRS cable
    - A 2-channel audio interface, such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 using a 3.5mm to dual 1/4” cable
    - A mixing console using a 3.5mm to dual 1/4” splitter cable
    - Most digital recorders using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRS cable

One thing to consider is that the FS mic uses a 9V battery inside the mic to power the capsules. A brand new battery will last 300+ hours of continuous use.

Alternatively, our FS XLR model has XLR outputs that require phantom power. Utilizing phantom power bypasses the need for the battery and can therefore power the microphone indefinitely. No battery swapping necessary. Plus, the XLR outputs provide a wider dynamic range when compared to the FS model.

• Hi,

This is the only thread that seemed to be related in some way to my questions. I want to record full 360 VR ambisonic audio, which is capable by the Rode NTSF1 or Sennheiser AMBEO VR. However, those to not have the ear binaural aspect of 3dio. 
    The Omni Binaural Microphone is "specifically designed to provide professional binaural audio for Virtual Reality & 360º camera applications". The microphone array in the 3Dio Omni does not appear to be a tetrahedral microphone array of four cardioid microphones. Can you elaborate on how the 3dio Omi is achieving 360º? If it is true ambisonic? What is its microphone array? etc

Also the binaural ears do not seem to accommodate any vertical Y axis head movement i.e if I was looking up, which in terms of a VR environment is an important aspect. Its a side point but I want to know 3dio's thought on the 3dio omi and a VR headset being moved to look 'up'. I hope that makes sense. haha

• @3Dio @Adam Buchanan 

i just bought the fs xlr - looking forward to using this bad boy!

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

@Adam Buchanan,

Thank you for your question. I apologize for the long delay.

We are able to achieve an ambisonic format in post by using our custom Reaper plugin. The output of the plugin is not a "true" ambisonic recording in the sense that the Omni microphone array is so large. However, we believe it is better in many ways. 

The biggest difference between the Omni (converted to ambisonic) and other ambisonic mics is the 'head spacing'. The Omni has built-in head width which makes the 3D image much more realistic and natural. 

The plugin algorithm uses 4 of the 8 ears/channels, and treats them as 4 incoming plane waves arriving from 4 directions simultaneously (90 degree angles). The software outputs a proper ambisonic formatted file. Another benefit of having our ears as part of the microphone is that they add a built-in sense of vertical direction when the listener is looking horizontally, meaning, the pinnae still provide some HRTF benefits, even though the output is not true binaural. This helps to make up for the possible issue you asked about with vertical head rotation. 

When the user looks up within an ambisonic converted Omni recording, there is still a noticeable and appropriate change in the sound. Since the file is converted to ambisonics, the head rotation looking up still works because all sounds coming in from the horizontal plane will be properly rotated by the ambisonic playback device.

I hope that information helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    ~Brian
    3Dio Customer Care

• @3Dio If you connect the XLR to a camera using an 3.5mm adapter, would you lose the benefits of the better sound with the XLR?

• Audio Wizard
    Staff member

@Joon Huh,

To answer your question regarding the XLR to 3.5mm adapter, we do not recommend downgrading an XLR output (balanced) to a 3.5mm input (unbalanced) for any scenario. Not only will you not retain the benefits of the XLR quality as you mentioned, but you actually will not receive a loud enough signal as the XLR outputs on the 3Dio require phantom power from the camera or audio device it is connected to in order to boost the signal to an audible level. The 3.5mm output of the 3Dio is powered by the 9V battery inside the microphone while the XLR outputs require phantom power from an external source. There are no devices on the market that provide phantom power using a 3.5mm stereo input.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    ~Brian
    3Dio Customer Care